Sunday, September 20, 2009

Birthday in Northern California, Day 5: Monterey & the Jabberwock B&B

I booked a room at this very well-reviewed Jabberwock Inn, tucked away near historic Cannery Row in Monterey, as a birthday present from my mother. This place was just amazing. The minute I arrived I was greeted by Dawn, one of the owners. She first gave me a tour of the place, showing me the beautiful little common areas (where there was always free freshly baked cookies laying out, complimentary teas and snacks, little Alice & Wonderland knick-knacks and later in the evening free wine and sherry). She pointed out the little garden that had two standard poodles, an oyster-shell Bouche Ball court, and wonderful landscaping. On the way up to my room, there was a secret closet that housed a refrigerator with complimentary soft drinks and juice for the guests. What a charming place!

My room was the Mimsy Room (from the poem Jabberwocky) on the third floor that overlooked the entire Monterey Bay with complete privacy. I learned from the other owner, Bill, that it's one of the most popular rooms, one in which his own mother wants to stay whenever she gets sick and needs to recover (which is exactly what I need after this flu!). I opened the windows to the sounds of seagulls and the smell of the ocean, only a few blocks away. There was a nice little window bench I sprawled out on and just watched the outside world. The weather was perfect.


(Photo One: Peeking out the window, Photo Two: View from the Mimsy Room, Photo Three: Jelly beans and scotch next to the bed!)


I decided to walk down to Cannery Row, the historic namesake of the Steinbeck novel I have yet to read. The area had become extremely commercialized and developed and it was very difficult to get access to the beach or even a view of the shore. I wonder what Steinbeck would have thought of all this. It reminds me of many places I visit that just don't hold the charm that they either used have to or were intended to have (like Bricktown in Oklahoma or the Strand in Galveston). I did manage to see an otter or two by the beach, they were so cute!


(Photos of the shoreline in Monterey)

On the way back I bought some extremely cheap pizza and some liquor, although I wish I'd had waited since at the Jabberwock a couple of the guests as well as Dawn and John were mingling in the little indoor porch area, eating appetizers and drinking wine. I noticed the dry erase board that had the names and origins of all the guests. There were couples from Long Island, London, and Berkeley, and we all chatted that evening about things to see around the area, photography, Irish music, Obama, accents, TV Shows, NYC, and beyond. I was so appreciative to have people to talk with on my birthday and to be in such a welcoming warm place. The sun set and we all retired to our respective rooms.

I spent the last remaining hours of my birthday laying on the window beach writing postcards to friends and taking a nice little shower. The fog crept in and soon you could not discern details outside for more than a block away, which was great for me because that meant lots of privacy. It started to get cold, despite being wrapped in some blankets, so I closed the windows and headed off to my sleep-number bed (which I had never experienced). I had a night cap of complimentary Scotch and jelly beans which was provided at the bedside and had a great night's sleep.




"My wife cried when we left, what else can I say" - Review about the Jabberwock.

I am a little concerned with my psyche tomorrow. The day after my birthday is sometimes depressing, like the party is over. My day is over. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment