Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fall Time is time for Baked Apples

I get on these kicks of buying healthy produce at the store and watching them go to complete waste in the refrigerator in favor of convenient store snack visits. I decided enough was enough. I will not let this beautiful batch of pink lady apples sit in the fruit bin any longer. Figuring that the temperature dropped a good 30 degrees yesterday (Texas weather... enough said), it was high time to try a new Fall themed snack. Here is my recipe for Baked Apples -

Ingredients
  • Three Apples (I used Pink Lady variety)
  • 1 cup of sugar / 1 tablespoon of cinnamon (I discovered this was too much but used the extra in some coffee served on the side)
  • 1 tbs butter
Baking Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Core the apples (I used a knife) - if you cut through the bottom just patch it up with a little bit of butter.
Combine the sugar and cinnamon and pour into the core of the apples.
divide the tbs of butter over the tops of the filled apple cores.
cook for 30-40 minutes.


Viola!

Neither my father (pictured) nor I have ever had baked apples before. He told me that growing up one of the comic series he often read was Hot Stuff the Little Devil who was always on a quest for baked apples. Dad always wanted to try baked apples growing up but was too embarrassed to admit this was why.

These apples tasted just like a warm more solid form of apple sauce. The skins were soft and I just gobbled my apple down. It's been the most unusual breakfast of the Fall so far. I forgot the joys of cinnamon. Errr, and apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment